Controls for Windows/Web:
- Shooting - Mouse and left mouse button
- Start/Pause/Select/Skip dumb jokes - Enter
- Close the game from the title screen/Return to title screen - Escape
- Basically, the mouse replaces your light gun.
Controls for Dreamcast:
- Shooting - Light Gun and trigger
- Start/Pause/Select/Skip dumb jokes - Start
- Return to Dreamcast menu from title screen - B
- Return to title screen - A+B+X+Y+Start (Standard Dreamcast combo)
All is fair in love and Mirklings!
Shoot your way through hordes of small squishy enemies with nothing but 40k tons
of TNT! If you don't, all the people you hold dear will die (they will also die if you don't play Mirklings).
With a shocking twist ending, Mirklings is shaping up to be the greatest artistic game of the year! (BAFTA pending).
(In case it didn't shine through, it's just tongue-in-cheek humour. Mirklings is one of my silly monthly games, so please don't go in expecting something grand, ok?)
- Source code is on github: https://github.com/CaptainDrea...
- The Dreamcast version has approximately 10 times less Mirklings than the Windows version. The web version has approximately 5 times less Mirklings than the Windows version.
- Background music is from here: https://opengameart.org/conten....
- Web version coming later.
- You can follow me on twitter, if you're into that: https://twitter.com/CaptDreamc...
Thanks for playing!
Extract the folder and open Mirklings.exe.
Burn the .cdi file to a CD-R using Padus Discjuggler 6.0 (https://legacy.padus.com/produ...). CD-RWs will not work. Burn at slow speeds, if possible. Put the CD-R in your Dreamcast. If it shows -Mirklings executable- during the Sega logo screen, you did everything correctly.
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Does this actually work on dreamcast?
Game made me lol. Lots of Mirklings streamed down the right hand side though and I barely needed to defend against them.
Yeah it works on Dreamcast, though you need both a light gun and a CRT monitor, which kills about 99.99999% of humanity's population as my player base.
The web version crashes or freezes around 10k mirklins, or stage 7.
Sorry that it crashed, and doubly sorry that it crashed mid-game! Mirklings was my first web port and I'm still trying to figure things out.
My best guess is that the game ran out of memory. Since emscripten is not that hot at handling dynamic memory alloc, I decided to go with the name-an-upper-memory-limit-at-compile-time strategy. I'll reupload it with a larger memory pool. Once again, really sorry!